Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gingermelon Gingermen


The first dolls I made using Gingermelon patterns are these adorable little gingermen.
Every year at Christmas time two of my friends and I get together with our children and make gingerbread houses. Last year we decided it would be fun to make ornaments for each other. When I saw these little guys I knew they would be perfect.
The pattern can be found at Gingermelon's Etsy shop
She emailed me the pattern in less than 24 hours and has answered all my questions very graciously.
The pattern itself was easy to follow and alot of fun to make.
I do have a hard time with the safety eyes though. If they weren't so cute I would stop using them. It just kills my fingers to squeeze them together. Does anyone know an easier way? Am I doing something wrong?

I used a merino wool blend felt by Benzie Bazaar
I used the colour cinnamon for the outside men and toast for the one in the middle.This was the first time I have used a wool blend, I have used 100% wool felt previously. I really like the feel of this wool it has a smoother touch and holds it shape very nicely. Benzie Bazaar shipped  the felt out right away and I was able to start crafting in a couple of days.Which is great for me, I tend to get antsy when waiting to start a craft project.

The gingermen are trimmed with tiny buttons I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics, pink and white glass seed beads and a pink organza ribbon.
Well I couldn't just stop at one Gingermelon pattern. Guess what I made next?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anita! Thanks so much for featuring my Gingermelon Man pattern, that was very kind of you! Your little ornaments are oh-so-sweet!

    For the safety eyes, I like to use a small headed screwdriver to pry the arms up. Once you've got the connector onto the post, you can use the screwdriver to push the arms back into place. Much easier on the fingers that way!:)
    ~Shelly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I think I am using the wrong type of safety eyes. Mine don't have arms :(
      Where do you get yours?

      Thank You!
      anita

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!